Monday, April 6, 2009

Chocolate Mousse, revisited

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:01 PM
I invited my dad, brother, sister and my sister's boyfriend over for dinner last night, so I needed a dessert to impress. I have to outdo myself every time I'm on dessert duty - which, let's face it, is every time I see them.

I have made chocolate mousse in the past using this recipe, but I needed a recipe that would yield more mousse than my previous attempt. I was low on cream and, being rather lazy, I didn't want to (a) go and buy more cream and (b) try and multiply the old recipe by 1.5.

I trawled the net and found this recipe over at Taste. It had good reviews so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I cheated and melted the chocolate in the microwave (though if you're not confident at melting chocolate I would stick to the double boiler method as it is harder to burn the chocolate). I also added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to give more depth to the flavour.

I garnished each portion with some piped whipped cream and a chocolate embellishment. I made these by piping melted chocolate on to non-stick baking paper and allowing them to set in the fridge.

This mousse was incredibly rich but absolutely divine. All of my dinner guests finished every last mouthful, and that, to me, is the best compliment of all.

3 comments on "Chocolate Mousse, revisited"

Charlotte said...

looks sooo yummy Kel!!!

Kelly on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 said...

This looks devine! I have a quick baking question that you may be able to answer, seeing your in Oz. Many recipes with Fondant ask for Confectioners Sugar, is this just what we call Pure Icing Sugar?

kel @ sweet treats on Thursday, 09 April, 2009 said...

Thanks Charli! Will make it for you sometime :)

Miss Nairn - I've interchanged pure icing sugar and icing sugar mixture freely with no problems. Confectioners sugar is icing sugar, whether it be 'pure icing sugar' or 'icing sugar mixture' (there is little difference between the two). Hope this helps :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez