Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My most challenging cake yet...Jess and Nathan get married

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:43 PM
My work colleague Karen also happens to own a shoe shop here in Ballarat. When one of her and her husband's employees was getting married Karen was kind enough to recommend me to do their wedding cake.

Their wedding ceremony was held at the famous Kryal Castle, so Jess wanted this medival/gothic theme to carry through to their reception and their wedding cake.

Jess and I redesigned the cake just a week before the wedding and I was absolutely wrapt with the outcome. I had recently bought some gorgeous damask stencils and was dying to try them out. I had also never had the opportunity to try my hand at quilting, so this cake was going to incorporate some new techniques for me. I always love a challenge.


Well...challenge it was. When the colour theme is white, red and...black...well, you know it will keep you on your toes.


For those in the cake making game there is nothing scarier than white and black together. Even the smallest mistake cannot be undone, and often the only solution for a mistake is to pull all the icing and fondant off the cake and start again. I really wasn't keen on doing that, that's for sure!


I did some practice with the stencils beforehand so that when it came time to stencil the cake I felt somewhat prepared. Nervous, but as prepared as I could be.



As it happened, I needn't have worried. The stencilling went on without a hitch. Relieved doesn't begin to describe how I was feeling at this point!


My partner Chris came with me to help me set up, and once we had all three tiers together I stood and marvelled at my handiwork. I was so proud of this cake! Chris literally had to confiscate my camera as I just couldn't stop taking photos of it. Unlucky for him, I had my iPhone at the ready to take more snaps.




Congratulations Jess and Nathan - thank you so much for allowing me to be part of your special day.

0 comments on "My most challenging cake yet...Jess and Nathan get married"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez