Friday, September 16, 2011

Quick and easy lemon meringue tarts

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:24 PM
I love being in my kitchen, and I love nothing more than spending hours in there creating delicious food for my family and friends. However, sometimes you just need a quick treat and that's when these tasty treats come in really handy.




My friend Ann and I were at the Bannockburn Farmers Market recently and I came across a stallholder who made savoury tarts and other various morsels in Maude, a nearby town. I picked up a large jar of lemon curd from her with the intention of saving it for a sweet dessert.



1 packet Arnott's Butternut Snaps

100g lemon curd

1 egg white

pinch cream of tartar

1/3 cup caster sugar


Heat oven to 180 celsius and place biscuits over the holes of a mini muffin/pattycake tin. Bake for 3-5 minutes until soft. Using a teaspoon, lightly push the centres in to form a dip. Work quickly as the biscuits harden after being out of the oven.



Spoon a little lemon curd into each and place in fridge for half an hour until curd is set.


To make meringue, whip egg white and cream of tartar until mixture has doubled in volume. Beat in one tablespoon of sugar at a time. Beat until glossy and no sugar can be felt when a little mixture is rubbed between your thumb and forefinger.


Spoon meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe on to prepared tarts and brown using a kitchen blowtorch. If you don't have a blowtorch, you can pop them in the oven for a few minutes to brown the tops.


I took these in to work and I got asked by three people for the 'recipe' - imagine my embarrassment when I had to admit all it was was store bought biscuits and lemon curd!

0 comments on "Quick and easy lemon meringue tarts"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez