Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dulce de Leche Mud Cake

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:18 AM
I've finally settled in to Ballarat, and despite it being ridiculously cold I am loving being home. I love that there is no 'peak hour', you don't have to allow for traffic, I'm no longer living in an apartment and that everywhere takes a maximum of 15 minutes to get to. I love that I can see my friends whenever I like and that I can hang out with my beautiful godsons a lot more often.

Much to my excitement, while I was unpacking a box I found an unopened can of dulce de leche. To celebrate my return home I decided to create a dulce de leche mud cake.


200g butter, chopped
100g dark chocolate
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tbl instant coffee powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup self raising flour, sifted
1/2 can Dulce de Leche

Preheat oven to 160 celsius (140 fan forced). Grease and line a 23cm round tin with non-stick baking paper. Place butter, chocolate, water, cocoa, coffee and vanilla in a large saucepan. Mix over medium heat until smooth. Allow mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.

Using electric mixer/beaters, whisk eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Whisk into the chocolate mixture. Add flour and mix until well combined.

Pour half of the mixture into prepared cake tin. Drop tablespoons of the dulce de leche into the mixture. Pour in remaining mixture and repeat with the dulce de leche.

Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 10 minutes. The cake is done when a metal skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Enjoy!

5 comments on "Dulce de Leche Mud Cake"

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 said...

Oh my gosh YUM! I am obsessed with Dulce de Leche gelato at the moment. This looks so good, you have inspired me to make a Dulce de Leche cupcake!

Sarah on Friday, 02 October, 2009 said...

I love the stuff- so easy to get here- everywhere. I just ate a chocolate eclair that had cream, custard and Dulce de Leche (known more commonly here are Manjar (pronounced mancar)

Hardy.Originals on Monday, 05 October, 2009 said...

Hey darling...
So glad your settling in there... sounds so lushious, back yards, children and short distances...
I still don't understand why you hate my city so much, but hey. each to their own and you need to be happy. that is the important part.
I Love your Dulce cake. what a dream. If i ate cake that would be one of them... for sure...
Now, i have a request... when you feel like getting creative with something you haven't done before, could you make a gluten and lactose free cupcake reciepe for me so that i can aspire to make cupcakes like you...
Glad your doing well my darling.
hear from you soon.
love Brendan H...
(i've been assessed badly by doug. thats news! well 97. I said UM! could you believe it? haha)

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 05 October, 2009 said...

CBC - OMG I have to find Dulce de Leche gelato. Ohhh. Hmm maybe I can concoct something. Though I'm sure everyone is totally sick of reading about dulce de leche hahaha!

Sarah - so jealous! That eclair sounds divine :)

Brendan darling...ah I miss you. Tell Doug off for me :P

I've made a gluten/lactose free batch of cupcakes before. Start with my vanilla bean cupcake recipe on the front page of my blog (under 'make it'). You can substitute the flour for Ogran SR flour (find it in the health food section of the supermarket). Use lactose free milk and Nuttelex instead of butter. They do come out a bit sweeter so you might want to reduce the sugar by a little. CSR have gluten free icing sugar (though I wonder if all of them are and CSR are the only ones to put it on the packet haha!)

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/ganardinero.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]La mejor web sobre ganar dinero[/b]
Hemos encontrado la mejor guia en internet de como ganar dinero. Como fue de utilidad a nosotros, tambien les puede ser de interes para ustedes. No son solo metodos de ganar dinero con su pagina web, hay todo tipo de metodos para ganar dinero en internet...
[b][url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/dinero.jpg[/img][/url]Te recomendamos entrar a [url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/]Ganar dinero desde casa[/url][url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/dinero.jpg[/img][/url][/b]

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez