Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Double chocolate cupcakes

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 7:58 AM
It's not often that I make cupcakes that are solely about the flavour and not so much about the 'look'. Decorating is my favourite part of cake and cupcake making, so putting pics of these cupcakes up on the blog is somewhat embarrassing to me. Ah well...you can just pretend you got to eat these.
I made these for the new man in my life, who has informed me that he 'doesn't like cake'. Err...what?

Well, this all changed last night when he ravenously polished off one of these cupcakes and told me they are 'better than Sara Lee' (the only cake he will eat). Well darling, I would hope so. Packet mixes and pre-made cakes are a big no no when I'm around.
There was another reason that I wanted to bake cupcakes yesterday. It was a result of the package that arrived in the mail for me.

I'll give you a hint...
Yep, that's right - I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous limited edition Candy Apple Red Kitchenaid Artisan. I bought it for myself as an early birthday present/a reward for getting through the past five weeks since I left my partner/a celebration of my new life in Ballarat. I am over the moon that I am finally the owner of one of these remarkable machines.

Now, for the recipe...
Chocolate cupcakes

1 cup self raising flour
3 tbls cocoa
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
90g unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180 celsius (160 fan forced) and line cupcake pan with papers. Sift flour and cocoa into mixer bowl and add remaining ingredients (yes, this is possibly the easiest recipe in the history of the world). Beat until smooth and mix resembles chocolate mousse. Spoon into prepared cupcake papers and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool.

Chocolate buttercream

125g butter, softened & cubed
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbls cocoa
500g icing sugar
Boiling water (approx 1/2 cup)

Beat butter and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add half of the cocoa, icing sugar and boiling water and beat until well combined. Add remaining cocoa and icing sugar and add water as required until you have a silky, smooth mixture.

Spread or pipe buttercream on to cupcakes and top with white chocolate chips.

Enjoy!

7 comments on "Double chocolate cupcakes"

Lee-Ann on Wednesday, 14 October, 2009 said...

Hi Kel,

glad you are on the road to happiness again and your cooking up a storm..Sara Lee ??? you have converted him now :-)

and love the kitchenaid ..happy baking xxx

Two fit and fun gals on Wednesday, 14 October, 2009 said...

THESE CUPCAKES LOOK ADORABLE!

AND WOW WOW WOW TO THE KITCHEN AID !!!! :)

Bel on Wednesday, 14 October, 2009 said...

I made these this morning. My cupcakes sunk but still tasted great and I could eating that frosting everyday for the rest of my life. Thank you for the recipe. Congrats on the KA. I got a red one for my birthday last year, had been begging hubby for 4 years so pretty stoked when it arrived :)

Sarah on Thursday, 15 October, 2009 said...

OMG, this is the exact chocolate cake recipe I use too. It's soooo easy and they always turn out great. I made a batch not too long ago and blogged about them as well
http://yumchocolatecupcakes.blogspot.com/

And I am so jealous of your kitchenaid... Me wantee!!

kel @ sweet treats on Friday, 16 October, 2009 said...

Lee-Ann - I know, Sara Lee?! I nearly had a coronary. There will be no Sara Lee while I'm around lol!

Betty - thanks :) And I'm still in love with the KA. In fact my dad caught me hugging it. Oops.

Bel - not sure why they would have sunk...do you have an oven thermometer? Maybe the oven wasn't hot enough?

Sarah - I love your chocolate cupcakes! Freckles are the coolest!

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes on Monday, 19 October, 2009 said...

Hi Kel,
The cupcakes look amazing and so does the Kitchenaid. I love that Candy Apple one, it's beautiful! Mine is pistachio!
Ps. Doesn't like cake? WHAT THE?!

BizarreQuilter on Friday, 06 November, 2009 said...

Ooh, I love your machine. I have a little envy for the candy red metallic....

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez