Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lemon & coconut slice

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 3:19 PM
So I've been unemployed for a whopping...err...four days now, and the boredom is killing me. All I can do is bake. At this rate I'll be too big to fit through the front door to go to an interview.

Someone give me a job. Please. With a cherry on top. See? I asked nicely.

I had some lemons begging to be used up so I turned them into a deliciously tangy lemon and coconut slice. This slice is easy peasy to put together (no baking involved!) and is the perfect afternoon snack.

Lemon & Coconut Slice

1 packet Arnott's Marie biscuits (or any plain sweet biscuit)
1 tbls frest lemon juice
Rind of one small lemon, finely grated
3/4 cup condensed milk
80g butter, chopped
1 cup dessicated coconut

Glace Icing

2 cups icing sugar
4 tbls fresh lemon juice
2 tbls dessicated coconut, for sprinkling

Line a 20cm square cake tin with non stick baking paper. Crush biscuits in food processor until it becomes fine crumbs.

Combine butter and condensed milk in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Add this mixture to the biscuit crumbs along with coconut and lemon juice and rind. Mix until well combined and press into prepared tin with the back of a metal spoon. Refrigerate.
To make icing, combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat. You will notice the mixture going hard - it should form a ball in the saucepan. Keep mixing - the sugar will melt down and turn into a smooth icing. While the mixture is still warm, spread over the slice. Work quickly as the icing will set very quickly (you may need to use a warm pallet knife to smooth the icing). Sprinkle with coconut.

Refrigerate for an hour, then remove from tin and cut into squares.

Enjoy!

4 comments on "Lemon & coconut slice"

Unknown on Thursday, 15 October, 2009 said...

Oooh! Great minds! I made a batch of this last night, but with a bit of lime, too.

kel @ sweet treats on Friday, 16 October, 2009 said...

Oooh yum, I love the idea of adding lime! I love lime. Mmm.

Hardy.Originals on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 said...

its not possible to get this in a gluten free version is it? it looks so damn delicious... so damn delicious...
to boot shoot...
hope your well babe

kel @ sweet treats on Wednesday, 21 October, 2009 said...

I'm sure you could do it Brendan...just find some plain sweet gluten free biscuits and use those instead of the Marie biscuits. Condensed milk, does that have gluten in it? I'm clueless. But yeah aside from that you should be right kiddo!

I'm doing really well...miss you heaps xo

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez