Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blondes have more fun

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:15 AM
You all remember my not-so-long-ago fascination with brownies? Well, meet their cousin...

The Blondie.

I was sitting in a doctor's office with a friend the other day and the TV was tuned to an old episode of Huey's Cooking Adventures. Now, ordinarily I really dislike Huey (I blame my repressed memories of selling his ill-fated cookware range several years ago) but a recipe he cooked on the show caught my eye. I blame the fact that there were no magazines to keep me occupied so I was forced to watch the telly; however realistically speaking, it was because I couldn't resist the thought of a white chocolate brownie.

Yep, that's what a blondie is. It's the white chocolate version of a brownie. I thought I'd put together a white chocolate and raspberry version because, well let's face it, when you say 'white chocolate' I automatically think 'oooh, raspberries!'

100g butter, chopped
200g white chocolate, chopped
200g white chocolate chips
1 cup raspberries (I used frozen)
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 170 celsius (150 fan forced). Line a square cake tin with non-stick baking paper.

Combine butter and chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat and remove from heat when melted and smooth. Allow to stand for a few minutes until cooled. Lightly whisk eggs and vanilla together. Stir into butter mixture until smooth.

Sift flours into large bowl. Add sugar and chocolate chips and stir until combined. Make a well in the centre and pour in butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Add raspberries and stir until mixed through. Note: if you're using frozen raspberries ensure you have defrosted them and patted them with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.

Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until a thin bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean (a few crumbs is ok). Don't overcook or your blondies will be hard and crumbly.

When cooled, cut into squares (I get 16 squares out of a standard square cake tin).

Enjoy!

6 comments on "Blondes have more fun"

Shona said...

I'm not that keen on raspberries but I think it'd be awesome with macadamias in the mix. Keep up the good work Kel.

Mandy Bird on Thursday, 29 October, 2009 said...

Everything on here looks so good! I came across your blog from the foodie blog roll and I love it! Thanks : )

LizNoVeggieGirl on Thursday, 29 October, 2009 said...

LOOOVE blondies!! I always post about them, haha :)

kel @ sweet treats on Thursday, 29 October, 2009 said...

Shona - macadamias would work really well. In fact I think I have some hiding around here somewhere. Yummmm.

Mandy - thanks! Glad you stumbled across my humble lil blog :)

VeggieGirl - I have far too much love for brownies and blondies, lol!

Alessandra on Thursday, 29 October, 2009 said...

i make something similar but without berries...I should try.

thank!

Rylan: Art and Appetite on Saturday, 31 October, 2009 said...

Oh my gosh! I love blondies. I've never had then with raspberries but I think I'm gonna start having then now. Thanks for posting. LOVE THIS!

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez