Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Happy birthday to me...

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:44 AM
No one likes giving me birthday cakes. I can't remember the last time someone actually baked me a cake. It makes me sad. I try to explain that it is the thought that counts, but people are so afraid of handing me a cake that they appear to have given up altogether. I took it upon myself to bake myself a birthday cake instead.

It's not as sad as it sounds; it had been about a month since I had done any cake decorating and I was getting a bit antsy. It was more a case of 'man I miss decorating' rather than 'woe is me, I have no birthday cake, boohoo'.
I put together a vanilla bean cake torted and coated in vanilla buttercream.
I used black fondant for the circle cutouts. I buy black fondant premade and then add some white (or any other colour that I have left over from other projects) as the black on its own is quite crumbly. Adding regular fondant to it helps to get its elasticity back.

I added some cellogen (the poor man's version of gum tragacanth) to some fondant to make the rose and gift box. This helps to harden the fondant so that it doesn't lose its shape.
Happy 26th birthday to me!

9 comments on "Happy birthday to me..."

Lee-Ann on Tuesday, 03 November, 2009 said...

Happy birthday to you xx

did you get anything on your wish list ??

hope you and others enjoy your cake..

Sarah on Wednesday, 04 November, 2009 said...

happy Birthday. Love your cake- hope everyone enjoyed it

Kate said...

Did I not make you cake at the last meet up? Are you coming to the november one? If so, I will make you cake :)

kel @ sweet treats on Wednesday, 04 November, 2009 said...

Lee-Ann - I got the New Moon book and soundtrack from my sister, and my mum gave me money so I'm trying to decide what to buy myself!

Sarah - thanks! :)

Kate I totally don't remember cake...but yes I think you should make me cake when I'm in Sydney at the end of the month. In fact I'm going to make it a rule that no one turns up without a cake for me. Selfish much? You love it! Haha!

Hardy.Originals on Thursday, 05 November, 2009 said...

Happy 62nd birthday indeed... what a cake... you are amazing...
Did you have all the fun you desired?
I was going to send an email to you, but my internet is down, so you didn't get the usual. on this day in history...

I hope your happy in the tree world. things are plodding along here, and there miserable without you!

xxxx
B

kel @ sweet treats on Thursday, 05 November, 2009 said...

Hey Brendan :) I miss you guys so much - this unemployment thing ain't so grand. I am going to be outside the office on Friday arvo for a few minutes (getting picked up by a friend from there) so I will hopefully see you!

I did have a wonderful birthday...the new man spoiled me rotten :)

Miss your face!

41228774 on Thursday, 05 November, 2009 said...

happy birthday kel! your cake looks lovely, i hope you had a great day!

Tina said...

Happy birthday, lovely cake!

kel @ sweet treats on Tuesday, 10 November, 2009 said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes Aphra and Tina! :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez