Sunday, August 17, 2008

A cake for a true Melbournian

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:23 AM
I was asked to make a cake for a Melbourne architect's 40th birthday. She absolutely adores Melbourne so her sister asked me to incorporate Steph's favourite Melbourne landmarks into the design of her cake. These landmarks were the Bolte bridge, the Eureka tower, the shipping containers from the docks and the Southern Star observation wheel (the project Steph is currently working on).

The cake was chocolate and was torted and covered in hazelnut buttercream. It was a two tier stacked cake and let me tell you, it weighed an absolute ton!


The landmarks (with the exception of the wheel) were made out of fondant. The wheel was the only inedible piece - it was made out of card.


The party was held on a boat down on the Yarra - what a great idea for a party!

Happy birthday Steph, I hope you had a wonderful time!

5 comments on "A cake for a true Melbournian"

BizarreQuilter on Sunday, 17 August, 2008 said...

Wow! I just found your blog! You are awesome! I hope this is your job! Thanks so much for posting your recipes too. I am going to refer my cooking friends to your blog too.
Loz in Oz

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 18 August, 2008 said...

Wow, thanks for the lovely comments! :)

Unfortunately I still work full time and just do the cakes when I have time. It can get a bit full on sometimes but it's good fun!

Thanks again!

Kel

jules on Monday, 18 August, 2008 said...

i have been a lurker for a few months now and salivate over your gorgeous creations! one word - SUBLIME! i think i have diabetes just from looking at your pictures. =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks again Kel for arranging this for me. The cake was delicous and amazing ! So true to life. My sister really appreciated it. Thank you for all your hard work too. It was wonderful to meet you. Jess

kel @ sweet treats on Tuesday, 19 August, 2008 said...

小珠 - great to hear from you! My waistline certainly doesn't appreciate my efforts lol!

Jess - I'm so glad you liked it! It was great to meet you :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez