Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blood Orange Bombe

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 6:03 PM

I dragged my other half out to the Victoria Market this morning (a rare opportunity as we live on the opposite side of the city) to explore the bargain treats. Sadly our shopping expedition was marred by the myriad of slow Sunday shoppers who just didn't understand how to navigate their way through the crowds without knocking me over (I'm by no means a small person so how people manage to 'accidently' hit me I'll never know).

While I was at the market I found blood oranges. Having never tried these, I bought a few and set about concocting a dessert worthy of the blood orange.

I decided upon a cupcake as I haven't had a chance to make many recently. I transformed my blood oranges into a sweet curd and stuffed it into the cupcakes. Traditional buttercream or fondant didn't appeal to me as a topping today, so I decided upon a meringue crown for my creation.
In honour of its meringue topping, I named my newest creation 'Blood Orange Bombe'.

Traditionally a bombe is an icecream concoction covered with meringue and is torched in front of your dinner guests. So here is a bombe...in cupcake form.

Blood Orange Bombe cupcakes

Blood orange curd

1/2 cup blood orange juice (about 3-4 small blood oranges)
1/2 cup caster sugar
125g butter, cubed & softened
2 tsp blood orange zest
3 eggs

Combine juice, zest, sugar & butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until butter is melted. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes and whisk eggs in. Return to low heat and stir for a few minutes until the mixture thickens slightly (enough to coat the back of a spoon). Pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge.

Blood orange cupcakes

125g butter, softened & cubed
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup blood orange juice
1 tsp blood orange zest
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups SR flour, sifted
1/2 cup milk

Cream butter, sugar and juice until creamy. Reduce mixer speed and add eggs, one at a time. Add half the milk and half the flour, mix until just combined. Add remaining milk and flour, along with zest. Do not overmix as the cupcakes will not be light and fluffy otherwise.

Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 14-20 mins (baking time will depend on the size of your liners, so check them after 14 minutes).


Meringue

2 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
Food colouring, if desired

Whip egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until the sugar is dissolved and firm peaks form (add colouring at this point if you are using it).

Assembly

Wait for cupcakes to cool before cutting a cone out of the top of each one. Save cone. Spoon curd into each cupcake and replace cone (cut the bottom of the cone off to allow it to fit back in nicely). Spoon a generous dollop of meringue on each one (you could pipe this instead if you like) and toast with a kitchen torch (if you don't have one you could pop them under the grill instead).

Enjoy!

13 comments on "Blood Orange Bombe"

Anonymous said...

YUMMY. I love lemon meringue and I think that this would be delicious, now to find some blood oranges!

Gaya on Monday, 21 July, 2008 said...

Oooo...looks and sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

OMG Kel - have you seen these?

http://www.thecupcakecourier.com.au/

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 21 July, 2008 said...

Sarah - I adore all things lemon meringue too...so much so I've gone through a phase of turning any citrus fruit into a meringue pie cupcake haha! I've done lemon, lime and now blood orange. Mmm.

Gaya - yep they were pretty yummy if I do say so myself!

Kate - I've definitely seen them! They're all the rage at the moment. I bought the Wilton 12 capacity one earlier this year before the Cupcake Courier was around so stupid me can only transport 12 cupcakes. Boo.

craver2 on Friday, 25 July, 2008 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
craver2 on Friday, 25 July, 2008 said...

All I can say Kel is WOW!!!
I have spent the best part of an hour indulging in your blog and all the fantastic things you have made.
You truly have a natural talent and passion that shines in your baking.
What a shame I'm the other side of the world so I'm unable to sample your amazing cupcakes.

Katie on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

Yum! The cupcakes look wonderful. Your photos are great! I love your blog.

kel @ sweet treats on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

Craver2 and Katie - thanks so much for your kind comments! I'm so glad you stopped by to check out my blog.

Happy caking! :)

WitchOne on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

Hey honeybunch, saw this and thought of you!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WOW-Cup-cake-holders_W0QQitemZ250272553824QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20655QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WitchOne on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

NOW I read the comments, I'll shut up now.

kel @ sweet treats on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

Hahaha Witchy, nice to see you here! Hope you and your little one(s) are doing well.

I've seen the Cup-A-Cakes before, and I think they're a great idea!

I've actually got one now - a lovely lady from a forum I frequent bought me one as a thankyou (I sent her some cupcake liners she was desperately needing).

I am yet to test it out though, so I'll let you know when I do!

Cheers
Kel

Mel on Saturday, 26 July, 2008 said...

Kel ... you're a genius, girl. These look like pure bliss... I would like to try them, and I think I will... I'll let you know by next calibrations how they turned out... mmmmm

kel @ sweet treats on Sunday, 27 July, 2008 said...

Thanks Mel!

I will make sure I bring something for SAF calibration on Wednesday (you're still visiting us right?) I'm scared you'll yell at me if I don't hahaha!

Let me know how you go with these!

Kel

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez