Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I have just discovered the best frosting in the history of the world.

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 7:17 PM
No lie. Look at that glossy deliciousness. Mmmm.


So delicious looking that I HAD to have a taste...

...and here's what happens when you're a little TOO into your frosting...

Oops.
Ok, well the frosting has a name, and it's rosewater marshmallow. I couldn't wait to smooth this over some very vanilla cupcakes (very vanilla because I popped in extract and bean paste...nothing like vanilla bean flecks in your batter!)

I was a little dismayed that I didn't have any sugar flowers prepared as they would have looked gorgeous with the glossy sheen of the marshmallow. I did, however, settle for these cute conversation hearts.

These conversation hearts have changed considerably since my childhood; gone are the sweet little phrases that you bashfully wanted to push into the palm of your school crush. Their replacement? 'Text me', 'email me', 'page me'. Nothing like a technological revolution on romance.

And by now I'm sure you're salivating, desperate for this recipe...or maybe that's just me. I really love this frosting (can you tell?)
This makes enough to ice about 24 cupcakes.

Rosewater Marshmallow Frosting

1/4 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp rosewater essence
3 egg whites
1 drop gel food colouring/a couple of drops liquid colouring if required
Place the first four ingredients in a saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Leave it to boil for 3 mins then take it off the heat (important as you don't want it to turn into toffee!) Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, then add the sugar mixture and food colouring and beat until it's glossy.

The result is absolutely divine.

7 comments on "I have just discovered the best frosting in the history of the world."

Anonymous said...

That sounds really interesting... I'm going to have to try it!

Angela on Tuesday, 08 April, 2008 said...

It sounds so easy Kel! I'm going to give it a whirl!

Anonymous said...

OOoohh la la! These look fabulous! Lovely and pink and shiny! They look perfect! May I ask, what type of 'instrument' do you use when you're icing things, as your icing looks perfect every time!

Fi

kel @ sweet treats on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 said...

Definitely try it when you get a chance...it's soooo delicious!

fifilacupcakes - I have a small cupcake-sized pallet knife which really helps to get the icing smooth.

Kelly - yum, I LOVE Nerds!! What a great idea!

kel @ sweet treats on Wednesday, 09 April, 2008 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I adore meringue frostings on cupcakes but usually leave them white and just toast the outside with my blowtorch! I'll have to try the dye and decorate method next time :)

kel @ sweet treats on Saturday, 12 April, 2008 said...

Ellie - I must be honest, I tried this way because I had no gas for my blowtorch lol!

However it is absolutely beautiful so I'll be using it again and again :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez