Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lazy weekend breakfast

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:47 AM
By some act of God I was able to find blueberries for $1.50 a punnet. Of course I went a little nuts and bought a few punnets of these sweet berries...and now I have to find a way to use them all!
The first thing that came to mind was blueberry pancakes. What a delicious breakfast for a lazy Saturday morning at home.

Ingredients:
1 cup SR flour, sifted
1 egg
2 teaspoons caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp melted butter
1 punnet blueberries
a couple of handfuls of extra blueberries, to serve
banana slices, to serve
maple syrup, to serve

Whisk sugar and egg together until frothy. Add flour and butter. Whisk milk in slowly until you have a smooth batter. Gently mix in blueberries. Spoon into preheated & greased griddle or frypan. You will need to have the heat down on your stove as these need to be cooked slowly (because they are quite thick, you run the risk of burning the outside and leaving the inside raw). Brown on both sides and serve hot with banana, extra blueberries and maple syrup.

Delicious!

9 comments on "Lazy weekend breakfast"

isparkle50 on Tuesday, 19 February, 2008 said...

I just found your blog and see you have made my all time favourite pancakes-blueberry. Guess what I'll be making this weekend?!?

Anonymous said...

I've taken a few days off of work for some R&R. As always craving pancakes and came across your blog. Just assembled a lovely stack, with diced peach and banana and some reduced down maple syrup and honey.

Sitting in the sun look straight down Sydney's harbour is bliss.

Thanks :)

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 10 March, 2008 said...

Sounds delicious! Hope you enjoyed them :)

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd post another comment, I tried these again with even better results... part of my obsession with pancakes :)

This time I excluded the blueberries.

In their place, I sliced white peaches into large pieces and tossed with a little extra virgin olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon - on a baking tray and heated in 200 degree oven to caramelise.

Served a pancake, peaches, another pancake on top, then a small spoonful of whipped ricotta (you could include a little vanilla bean or sugar in this if you liked) and some shredded basil.

Tossed around a few warmed flaked almonds and dash of maple syrup.

Go easy on how many peaches you pile on, they're sweet and you don't want the olive oil flavour to dominate, just to compliment.

Incredibly good, easy and lovely :)

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 17 March, 2008 said...

Drooooool!

That sounds incredible!

Anonymous said...

OK I'm officially obsessed :)

Another set of pancakes today.

This time using wholemeal flour, which takes the edge off and gives it a heavier texture which I like.

I pressed thin slices of banana into the pancakes while they were cooking. By the time they were flipped the banana had caramalised just a little and had a lovely flavour / scent.

To serve I finely diced some strawberries to toss on top and of course, maple syrup.

Simple, but prob the best so far.

By the way Kelli, where do you sell your cupcakes? In Sydney? By order only? Cost?

kel @ sweet treats on Saturday, 22 March, 2008 said...

Hehehe I'm glad to be a part of your pancake frenzy! Your ideas sound absolutely divine.

I sell my cupcakes by order only, and I am based in Melbourne. Prices start at $3 per medium cupcake (mini cupcakes are also available) with a minimum order of one dozen medium cupcakes/two dozen mini cupcakes.

:)

Anonymous said...

Given how good they are you should have price and ordering info on the front page of your blog (maybe it's already there and I've missed it?).

They always look so good to eat. Alas I'm Sydney so will have to settle for my own creations :)

I like simple cupcakes. My favorite at the moment is mint flavoured. It gives a nice crumbed cupcake a very light edge.

kel @ sweet treats on Sunday, 23 March, 2008 said...

Thanks for your kind comments :)

I am in the process of getting another site set up specifically for orders, so watch this space :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez