Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Kel's adventure at the market

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 2:09 PM
I finally tackled the Prahran market for the first time on Sunday and got some very impressive bargains. I came home with massive organic mangoes and avocados, and a kilo of nectarines...and best of all, they were all just $1! Yeahhh! I will definitely be going back.

I actually went to the market specifically to go to The Essential Ingredient (http://www.theessentialingredient.com.au/) as I wanted to browse the hard to find ingredients available there. I also wanted to visit the Crabapple Bakery (http://www.crabapplecupcakebakery.com.au/) as, let's face it, I wanted to eat cupcakes. Lots of cupcakes. I actually got the Crabapple book from my dear mum for my birthday and have been dying to taste their delicacies for a long time.

I made a beeline for the Essential Ingredient and spent way too much on gorgeous cupcake liners, pomegranate molasses, rice paper and two different types of sugars (it makes a difference, orright??) I then had fun browsing all the yummy fresh fruits and meats in the market. I was pleasantly surprised that it is lacking the stench of the Victoria Market. Phew.

Before I knew it, I was sweating like a pig (thanks, heatwave!) and was loaded to the hilt with food. It was then that I found the Crabapple Bakery. Oh, woe is me! I was much too exhausted and sweaty by this point that I decided to head home. Next weekend I will be making a beeline for the bakery before I do anything else!

I feel that I am now a seasoned, discerning market shopper and am impressed with my bargains.

Prahran Market is open every day except Mondays and can be found in Commercial Rd, South Yarra (near the corner of Chapel St). It is easy to get to by public transport - there are buses, trams and trains nearby. Website is http://www.prahranmarket.com.au/

0 comments on "Kel's adventure at the market"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez