Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Congratulations Craig and Kirsty!

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:28 AM
Whew! I've been so busy with cakes recently and it's only because I've taken the day off from my day job (my back and neck are causing me much grief at the moment...I should take out shares in my chiropractor's company!) that I've had a chance to update you all on my most recent cake creations.




Craig and Kirsty are friends of my partner, and have now become friends of mine. Chris and I were honoured to be part of their wedding - we were chief petal distributors (haha), I made their wedding cake AND we were seated on the bridal table. How lucky are we!

Kirsty chose a white and dark marble mud cake for both tiers, covered in vanilla buttercream and ivory fondant. The bases of both tiers were decorated with dark brown satin ribbon, with thin ivory ribbon criss-crossing over the brown. I then added some native Australian flowers. I loved this look - it was so effective and fit in with the colour theme of their wedding so well.



My favourite part of this cake was the personalised figurines I created for the top tier. Craig is rarely seen without his signature John Deere cap, so naturally I had to include this! Kirsty was carrying a bouquet of native Australian flowers so I ensured her bouquet fit the Aussie outback colour pallette. She is also a keen horse enthusiast so I made a tiny horse shoe to slip over her figurine's arm.


Chris and I had attended three weddings in the space of three weeks...and I managed to nab the bouquet at two of them, Craig and Kirsty's wedding included. Isn't the bouquet gorgeous? The beauty of Australian natives is astounding, and the best part is that they last for AGES. I had no trouble with them wilting on the cake, and I still have the bouquet on my desk at work almost two weeks later. It still looks as good as it did on the day. On a side note, be aware that a bunch of natives hurtling towards you at a million miles an hour HURTS when you catch it. I had a numb finger for about ten minutes afterwards! Haha!
Congrats Craig and Kirsty - I'm so glad life brought us together as friends. You guys are awesome!

0 comments on "Congratulations Craig and Kirsty!"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez