Monday, January 3, 2011

Raspberry and banana muffins

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 4:05 PM
I grew up on acerage outside of Ballarat, where we grew a lot of our own food. We had an abundance of delicious berries at our disposal, so in effect I was brought up stuffing my face with raspberries, strawberries and loganberries. I could never understand why my nanna always got so excited over our flourishing raspberry bush whenever she came to stay. We'd always send her off with a big icecream container full of the sweet berries.

It was when I grew older and started grocery shopping for myself that I realised why nanna was somewhat greedy with the raspberries.

I have had a hankering for raspberries for weeks, but at over $50 a kilo I cannot justify buying them fresh. When I spied some frozen raspberries on special at the supermarket I grabbed them and came home to make these muffins.

How to make them:

2 cups self raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 vanilla bean pod (or you can cheat and use a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste)
2 eggs, lightly whisked
60g unsalted butter, melted
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 200 celsius/180 fan forced and line a 6-hole Texas muffin tin with papers. Combine flour and sugar and stir in wet ingredients until well combined. Fold in raspberries.

Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. The muffins should spring back when lightly pressed.

These muffins will last several days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!

0 comments on "Raspberry and banana muffins"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez