Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Another mad hatter

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 7:48 PM
My boss commissioned me to make a two tiered mad hatter cake for her friend's 40th birthday. I was only too happy to oblige; now I had conquered a three tiered mad hatter I felt like I could do anything!

The tiers were white and dark chocolate mud and were coated in ganache prior to being covered in fondant.
I like that most of my customers allow me to take an idea and make it my own. I changed the top of this cake so that the numbers were surrounded by 'bubbles'. I thought it made the top tier a little more funky and it also helped to cover the skewers anchoring the numbers. My boss' original plan was to stick in some foil 'fireworks' but she loved the cake as it was so she left it. Yay :)
It was the first time I'd attempted a striped cake where the stripes are right up against each other. I was happy with how the stripes turned out.
Her friend loved it so much that she has asked me to make one with the exact same design but in blue for her friend's son's 18th. Watch this space for pics of that cake!

0 comments on "Another mad hatter"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez