Sunday, May 31, 2009

Chocolate and caramel tart

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:54 PM
I was off to visit my mum and sister today, and as I've somehow managed to rope myself into bringing dessert to every family function, I needed a dessert to impress the family.

I decided upon a chocolate and caramel tart. Drooool.

Base
250g Arnotts Marie biscuits
2 tablespoons good cocoa
100g butter, melted

Caramel
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
80g butter
70ml thickened cream

Chocolate ganache
200g dark chocolate
1/3 cup thickened cream

Blend biscuits, cocoa and melted butter in food processor until smooth. Press into a 20cm fluted pie tin with a removable base. Refrigerate.

Have an ice water bath handy (just big enough to sit your saucepan in). Pour sugar and water into a saucepan and heat over high heat, occasionally brushing down sides of saucepan with a little water. Keep an eye on the caramel - do not stir. As soon as the caramel gets a golden tone, plunge the saucepan into the ice water bath. I did not do this, and my caramel kept cooking though it was off the heat. You don't want this to happen!

Pour the caramel over the base and place in the fridge to set for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

When the caramel is set, heat the cream in a small saucepan until it is simmering. Break up the chocolate and add it a handful at a time to the cream, stirring gently. When the chocolate and cream are combined well, pour the mixture over the caramel. Leave to set in the fridge for 1/2 - 1 hour.

Enjoy!

3 comments on "Chocolate and caramel tart"

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge on Monday, 01 June, 2009 said...

This looks so delicious and rich. I could eat this all night long!

I must say I've been on your site for about an hour now and I LOVE IT! All the gorgeous cakes and cupcakes make me drool. They are so pretty, no wonder you get asked to do weeding cakes so often! Great work and keep it up. I'll be bake regularly!

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 01 June, 2009 said...

Thanks so much Maria! I love your blog too - lots of scrummy delights over there!

Thanks for stopping by :)

Ange said...

OMG.. They look evil for the waistline.

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez