Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy Birthday to Tines

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 6:48 PM
Yes, that is the nickname of our very own pocket rocket, Steph.

All that know Steph know of her obsession with all things Adidas. While we may not understand it, we certainly accept that her love of the brand is all part of her...err...charm?

It was only appropriate that I create an Adidas-inspired birthday cake for her quarter-century celebration. I baked Steph a rich chocolate cake, and it was torted and smothered in peppermint buttercream. The Adidas logo was made out of black fondant, using a lily cutter and a pizza wheel. The shell edging was made with black buttercream.

Happy Birthday, tiny one!

PS I do apologise for the bad quality pics, but hey, it was late at night and I had no good light. Also, I had to transport the cake on the tram to work in my trusty Tupperware cake taker the next morning so apologies for the plastic base in the pics!

4 comments on "Happy Birthday to Tines"

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - very authentic Kel!

Anonymous said...

That is great! How did you get the icing so black? Everytime I try to get black it goes a cacky grey colour?

kel @ sweet treats on Sunday, 13 July, 2008 said...

Hi Lisa,

I always colour the icing brown first, using cocoa. It's much easier to get a rich black if you start from brown first rather than white.

I'm not sure what type of colour you're using, but I use Wilton or Americolor black gel.

Kel :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, great tip, thanks Kel! The last time I tried to make a ladybug, I used nearly a whole jar of the Wilton black and it was still a grainy grey colour...very attractive! Will give your tip a go!

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez