Sunday, October 7, 2007

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 12:45 PM



Everyone loves lemon meringue pie...so what about lemon meringue cupcakes? These delicious cakes have a zesty lemon curd filling and are topped with a fluffy meringue swirl.
Start by making the lemon curd. In a bowl sitting on top of a simmering saucepan of water, combine four egg yolks with 40ml fresh lemon juice, 2 tsp lemon zest and 3/4 cup caster sugar. Keep stirring until it thickens slightly and will coat the spoon. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until cool.

I added 20ml of fresh lemon juice to the Vanilla Cupcake recipe and baked as normal. I actually used bigger patty pans for this recipe (partly because I seem to have misplaced my small white ones and partly because this recipe needs a higher cake) so I only got 17 cupcakes out of the mixture instead of the usual 24.

When the cupcakes have cooled slightly, use a paring knife to cut a hole 2-3cm wide on the top of the cupcake. Discard the tops and fill the holes with lemon curd.

To make the meringue, I beat four egg whites until they formed stiff peaks. I slowly folded 1 cup caster sugar and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar into the mix. I then piped the meringue on top of the cupcakes and put them under the grill for a couple of minutes. A kitchen torch would have been a lot more effective...but that's still on my wishlist :)


This lot are for the guys at work tomorrow - so I'll come back with a review from them tomorrow!

UPDATE:

Well, I couldn't very well send these off to work without verifying they taste alright...so I split one with Justin. We have both confirmed that these cupcakes are AMAZING and they taste just like lemon meringue pie! Mmmm...


I do apologise for the crappy pic...it's hard to make a massacred cupcake look pretty *lol!*




4 comments on "Lemon Meringue Cupcakes"

Samara on Sunday, 07 October, 2007 said...

Kel, you are so talented I wish I were you! :)

Is there any auto-notify optin or something you can add to your site so Im updated?!

Kellie on Sunday, 07 October, 2007 said...

Hmm I'm new to this whole Blogspot thing but I'll see what I can do for you, Bam :)

Elise said...

Hi Kellie,
those cupcakes look amazing...do you also have a good recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie base?

Kate said...

Oh Kel you evil bitch!

Now I have to learn to make those cupcakes! LMP is my favourite *drool*

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez