Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Emergency wedding cake!

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:21 AM


I had a call from the bride's mum one morning when I was home doing another cake. With only a couple of weeks to go until her daughter's wedding their cake maker had ended up in hospital. The bride is a friend of Jess, who I recently did a cake for, so she asked her mum to give me a buzz to see if I was free to make them a three tiered cake.




It just so happened that I had a very full weekend booked, with a couple of work functions here in Ballarat and also in Melbourne. I originally said no as I simply could not deliver the cake to Geelong, where the wedding was being held. I personally would never deliver a full assembled three tiered cake - there is far too much risk of the cake toppling over or sagging. Some people do it but I'm just not willing to take the risk. I will only deliver two tiered cakes fully assembled, and it takes practice to be able to stack a cake at a venue.





So we had a problem - there were 140 guests invited to the wedding, and a two tiered cake was not going to be enough. The bride's mum suggested that I make a couple of kitchen cakes that could be used to feed all the guests, in addition to the two tiered cake. She was also able to pick it up from me the day before. Wonderful!








The main 'display' cake was dark chocolate mud that had been torted and crumb coated with chocolate buttercream. The cake was covered with white fondant and decorated with elegant Cornelli piping (hand cramps a-plenty!) I then wrapped coral coloured satin ribbon and strands of diamentes around the base of both tiers.





I made the looped bow for the top of the cake, which was colour matched to the ribbon at the base of the cake. The bow incorporated diamente strands for a bit of added sparkle.






So there you have it - a solution for a cake emergency!

1 comments on "Emergency wedding cake!"

Unknown on Monday, 05 December, 2011 said...

Awesome cakes! I appreciate your post.

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez