Saturday, April 30, 2011

Happy birthday to a special lady

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 5:17 PM
Cath and I grew up in the same street in a country area outside of Ballarat. After high school we didn't see each other for years, but when I moved back to Ballarat after living in Melbourne I regularly saw her on nights out (she worked at the club I used to frequent). Facebook helped us to get back in contact and it was through there that she asked me to make her grandma's 80th birthday cake.

Cath and her mum requested fruit cake, which is something I'd never made before. All of the fruit cakes I've done have been made by someone else as they have special significance (eg. a friend's grandmother made the top tier of her wedding cake, and another friend used the top tier of her wedding cake for her son's christening). I was a little nervous about making a fruit cake because they are so expensive to make, and if I mucked it up I'd be out of pocket! I was relieved when my work colleagues and friends had a taste of an extra cake I'd made and said it was good. I'd have tasted it myself but I can't say I'm a fan of fruit cake.

Cath opted for a two tiered mad hatter cake iced in pale green and shades of purple. The top tier was traditional fruit cake and the bottom tier was my signature dark chocolate mud cake.


By all reports the birthday girl enjoyed her cake! Happy 80th birthday!

0 comments on "Happy birthday to a special lady"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez