Friday, August 28, 2009

Strawberry & Lime Semifreddo

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:08 PM
I am a bit weird, I suppose. I presently have 15 kilos of icing sugar and 3 kilos of butter in my little apartment. I am deathly afraid of going over bridges. I don't eat pigs. I cannot leave the house without makeup on. I buy ingredients without knowing what they are and what to do with them.

I suppose, then, that it shouldn't come as a surprise that I would make up a recipe for a strawberry and lime semifreddo in the middle of Winter.

Thanks to the opening of Costco in Melbourne I am the proud owner of several kilos of beautiful Queensland strawberries (hey, at $6.99 a kilo wouldn't you be too?) so I needed to come up with something that would use up some of these delicious berries.

Quite literally meaning 'semi-cold', semifreddo is a broad term for a frozen dessert that isn't quite an icecream. This simple recipe does not involve cooking any ingredients and you can make it without an icecream maker (I don't have one!)

500g strawberries, washed and hulled
100g icing sugar
Juice of one lime
1 1/4 cups thickened/whipping cream

Place strawberries, icing sugar and lime juice in food processor and blend until smooth.

Push mixture through a sieve with a spoon, until you have a smooth mixture without any seeds.
Discard the pulpy seed leftovers - you don't want seeds in your semifreddo!
Whip cream until soft peaks form (not too stiff!) and fold strawberry mixture in to cream until well combined. Pour into a container, pop the lid on and sit it in the freezer.
After a couple of hours, the mixture will be starting to freeze around the edges. Take a knife and run it around the edges of the container to loosen the frozen mixture. Beat the mixture with electric beaters until the mixture is smooth. Repeat this process two more times over the next few hours.
Semifreddos are meant to be served a little melted so scoop some into a bowl about 10-15 minutes in advance.
Enjoy!

0 comments on "Strawberry & Lime Semifreddo"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez