Thursday, August 27, 2009

Brownie Fever: Raspberry & White Chocolate

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:30 AM
I appear to have subconsciously jumped on the brownie train. I blame US cake supplies manufacturer Wilton, who have been attempting to bring the humble brownie back in to vogue by launching a range of supplies specifically targeted at decorating these tasty cake squares.

Doing a search for 'brownie' on the Wilton website yields a staggering 281 results. There are all sorts of products Wilton believes will make your brownie-making a walk in the park.

Possibly the most ridiculous gadget I came across was this:
This, my friends, is a tool you use to 'pre-cut' your brownies. The 'Perfect Cut Brownie Cutter' marks your brownies for perfect edges. Which you later cut with a knife anyway. Huh?

Actually no, I take that back. This is the most ridiculous Wilton brownie invention: The 'batter blender' promises to mix brownie batter more quickly and with less effort. Err, yes ok...because a spatula is soooo 2008.
So anyway, subconsciously or not, I have developed a deep affection for brownies. Here's my latest recipe: dark chocolate brownies studded with raspberries and white chocolate.

125g butter, cubed
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
125g dark chocolate
3 eggs, lightly whisked
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
1/3 cup plain flour, sifted
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup raspberries (I used frozen)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180 celsius (160 fan forced). Grease a brownie tin (18 x 28cm) and line with non-stick baking paper.

Melt butter, sugar & dark chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Allow mixture to cool for a couple of minutes before stirring in eggs. Sift in flour, cocoa and baking powder. Stir in raspberries and white chocolate.
Pour mixture into prepared brownie tin and bake for 30 minutes. When cool, cut into squares.

Enjoy!

3 comments on "Brownie Fever: Raspberry & White Chocolate"

sandra said...

hiii,

I was just wondering if this recipe was meant to include 3 eggs like the other dulce de leche brownie? because i made some today (yours looked delish!) but they turned out really sloppy, like very delicious, non-brownie chocolate goo.

Could you maybe diagnose my mistake?

thank you!

sandra

kel @ sweet treats on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 said...

Oh Sandra I'm such a moron! I forgot to include the eggs in the recipe :( :( :(

I'm so so so sorry!

Sandra said...

hahaha that's okay, at least the mystery is solved. I shall try them again next week and i'm sure they'll be eggcelent (i was in the mood for a cheesy pun).

Keep up the grand work!

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez