Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cupcakes for a Cause: Australia's Biggest Morning Tea

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 8:39 PM

My boss' mum is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer and her friends are hosting a soiree for Australia's Biggest Morning Tea. Jo wanted to contribute to the cause, so she asked me to bake some cupcakes for the occasion.

Jo left the design up to me, but I knew we had to incorporate the signature pink ribbon.
I created some pink ribbon toppers with fondant. These were done by cutting circles of white fondant and strips of pink fondant. The strips were cut to size and were folded over to create the ribbon effect.

I baked some vanilla bean cupcakes and topped them with pink vanilla buttercream. Loving my huge new Loyal star tip (even more huge than my old one! Woo!) I added some edible glitter for some extra sparkle.

As a special pressie for Jo and her mum I made a couple of extras and decorated them with some of my sugar roses.

I boxed them up in some noodle boxes and finished them with some deep pink ribbon. Preeeetty.

10 comments on "Cupcakes for a Cause: Australia's Biggest Morning Tea"

Ange said...

Oh Kel.. these are just so gorgeous! So simple, but so effective. Well done girl. x

gluten free pammy on Thursday, 28 May, 2009 said...

I wish I could bake like this

Claudia on Thursday, 28 May, 2009 said...

These are a work of art - truly beautiful. My father is battling cancer and my family would love these. I can do the recipe - but sigh - it will never be as pretty. Maybe I'll bring them a picture of what they should look like!

Stacey on Thursday, 28 May, 2009 said...

Oh my my my goodness both of those looks AMAZING!

Jo on Thursday, 28 May, 2009 said...

WOW - these are amazing and for such a great cause also.

Have just come accross you blog and I am blown away....

Will definately be reading some more..

I am from Australia too....

Jo

kel @ sweet treats on Thursday, 28 May, 2009 said...

Thanks guys!

Jo's mum and the organiser of the morning tea were the lucky recipients of the special rose cupcakes. Jo was ordered to give me a big hug as a thankyou hehe :)

The cupcakes that didn't get scoffed down were sold, so more money got raised for the Cancer Council! Yay! :)

weenie_elise on Friday, 29 May, 2009 said...

yummo... hope you raise some good dough

41228774 on Monday, 01 June, 2009 said...

oh my god! those cupcakes look amazing! and a very clever design too for the ribbons. Any chance of a sugar rose tutorial coming our way?

kel @ sweet treats on Tuesday, 02 June, 2009 said...

Hi Alain,

Would love to do a tutorial for the roses - just a matter of finding some time! Will endeavour to do it in the next few weeks, so watch this space ;)

Cupquakes on Friday, 03 July, 2009 said...

Kel, you clever thing. I'd love a sugar rose tutorial also. Hope you have time to teach us all soon. Thanks, Teen. :)

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez