Saturday, January 10, 2009

Paula and Tom got married!

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 7:14 AM
...and I got to make their cupcakes and cutting cake!

The lovely couple came by my place a while back for a tasting and chose a light lemon & coconut cake to compliment their gourmet BBQ reception. The colour theme was pink and ivory, so this was incorporated into their cakes.

I also created a white chocolate mud cutting cake for them to freeze and enjoy on their first wedding anniversary.
I baked two mini mud cakes. I then torted the cakes and covered them with buttercream.
I then smoothed the buttercream using a bench scraper.

I rolled out fondant and covered the cake. I used a fondant smoother to get rid of any lumps and bumps.

I added ivory ribbon around the base of the cake. The bride was adding fresh roses to the top of the cake.

I spent almost a whole day making over 100 sugar roses to adorn the tops of these gorgeous cupcakes. Note to self: be more gentle with rolling pin! I woke the next morning to find my palms aching, and it took me a little while to realise it was due to the previous day's sugar roses effort. Ouch.

Sugar roses sans lustre...

And with lustre!
I iced each cupcake with buttercream using a 1M tip and placed a sugar rose in the centre of each cupcake.

Congratulations Paula and Tom!

6 comments on "Paula and Tom got married!"

Annie on Saturday, 10 January, 2009 said...

Wow Kel - they look amazing! Congrats on an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Kel - they look stunning!! Another amazing job!

Renee on Sunday, 11 January, 2009 said...

Gorgeous cake Kel - I like the before and after shots of the roses.

Anonymous said...

Kel these look amazing. I love your step by step photos. I bet the bride and groom were happy, no thrilled with the results.

How many 'tasters' do you keep for yourself?

kel @ sweet treats on Monday, 12 January, 2009 said...

Annie and Charli - thanks girls! I was really pleased with how they turned out. I got some great feedback from the bride too!

Renee and Jane - glad you like the step by step pics. I'm hoping to do a lot more of them in the future (it can just get a bit tricky being the messy baker that I am!)

Jane, you'd be disappointed in me...I rarely eat any of the leftovers! I always bake extra just in case, but they usually go to cupcake heaven :(

Anonymous said...

When i get married i'm flying you over to do my deserts!!! Gorgeous Kel xox

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez