Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas cookies

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 9:52 AM
I was feeling inspired last weekend to make some Christmas cookies for my work colleagues. Unfortunately, my partner saw me making these and decided to claim them for his work Christmas party the following day. Sorry work buddies!

I don't often use royal icing but I am now wondering why. I really enjoy using colour flow to colour cookies so I am taking a vow to use this icing a lot more in the future. I think what throws me off using it is that you have to have two consistencies for each colour - one for outlining and one for colour flow. If you have lots of time, I really recommend decorating with royal icing.

I used my standard sugar cookie recipe and combined 1 egg white, 1 tsp cream of tartar and a couple of cups of icing sugar along with a little water to make my royal icing. I recommend making your outlining royal icing first, tinting it to your desired colour and then halving the mixture and watering down one half to make your colour flow. That way you can ensure you get the same tint for both consistencies.

0 comments on "Christmas cookies"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez